Saturday, December 7, 2013

Race Report: Run Run Rudolph 10K (2013)

I feel like I've been doing pretty well with the 5K distance, and my morning running continues to go well.  It's a bit cold from time to time, but I felt ready to try out my first 10K - twice the distance I've raced before and looking forward to trying out my legs on a longer distance.


The race was pretty close to Christmas, was cold, and a bit rainy.  It sure seemed like fun, but I think the weather kept some people away.  The Brain Tumor Fund for the Carolinas is the supported charity and also puts on the race.

At the start/finish line

The course was through University Research Park, and a nice time to run through an area where I was very familiar with most of the roads.  The rain abated, but it was still a bit misty, humid, and cold at start time.  Both a 5K and a 10K option were available for the race, and the 10K was essentially running the 5K twice.

The course had long uphill and downhill stretches.  Nothing treacherous by the standards of more serious runners, but something I was very aware of during the run.  We started in a parking lot, turned left onto the road, and were off.  The course was well marked, and the wide path allowed runners to pass one another easily as they found their pace.  It was narrower in two places where traffic was closer to the course, but overall there was plenty of room to pass and be passed.

I'm starting to learn how I run best, and it's not by trying to keep the same pace regardless of the incline or decline.  It seems to work well for me to run with a similar amount of effort and about the same cadence, which means I go a little slower up hills and a lot faster down them.  This course has about a half mile of decline around miles 2 and 4, and that's where I was able to pass several people that I had been running with in a pack.  Each time around that loop I probably passed ten people - which for the size of the race was significant.

At the end I met someone I work with and her family - all runners and all terrific.  A few tents were set up, and then the big surprise for me:  I placed third in my age group!

Third place in my age group!  Wow!
Maybe it was the rain that kept folks away, or perhaps those downhill sections helped more than I expected.  Whatever, I was very excited to pick up some hardware.

Maybe it's a little like that one perfect shot in golf that motivates someone to keep playing forever.  I'm starting to like this running thing a little more now. :)

===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  Run Run Rudolph 10K
Location:  Charlotte, NC
Shoe:  Avia Austin
Date:  12/7/2013
Distance:  10K
Time:  52:08
Pace:  8:25/mile
Overall:  24/143 (16.8%)
Gender:  N/A
Group:  3/9 (33.3%)

==  LINKS  ===
Website:  Charlotte Sports Timing
Registration:  Active
Results:  Charlotte Sports Timing

No comments:

Post a Comment