Monday, December 21, 2015

Race Report: Run Run Rudolph 10K (2015)





Walk a mile.


It's the third annual Run Run Rudolph 5K & 10K, and a beautifully cold morning for a run!  Of course, its the beginning of December, so a bit of a chill is no real suprise.

I wasn't feeling well leading up to the race, having fought off a bit of sickness and coughing that was running through my family. The weekend before I unexpectedly slept for most of Saturday and Sunday - guess my body was needing a bit of recovery time.

I felt okay the morning of the race, but really hadn't trained much at all outside of a 4-mile run a couple of Sundays prior. It was no problem walking around the house, I could run up the stairs, and did a few push-ups.  Even untrained, I figured six miles was very doable and wouldn't pose much of a problem as long as I took it easy.

1 loop = 5K
2 loops = 10K

The course is a 5K course, and to reach 10K you just run the same route a second time.  This is my third running, and I've learned to expect the rolling hills.  There's a terrific downhill stretch where you can really pick up the pace.

Bib.
The run benefits the Brain Tumor Fund of the Carolinas, a nonprofit organization "dedicated to increasing public awareness of the impact of brain tumors and to providing support for the development of treatment strategies and cooperative biomedical research related to brain tumors in the Charlotte region."

The first time I ran this, the race shirt was a white long-sleeve t-shirt with the rudolph on the front.  The second time I ran this, the race shirt was a white long-sleeve t-shirt with the rudolph on the front - identical to the first year.  This was the third time, and the race shirt was a white long-sleeve t-shirt with the rudolph on the front.  There's something to be said for consistency. :)

Last picture of this post.

I was feeling pretty good at the start, and was running with Chris and Eugene, a friend of his from work.  Like in years past, costumes were voted on and gift cards were distributed to the winners.  Then we were off!

I was feeling pretty good, and wound up pacing alongside Eugene for a good portion of the start of the run.  After the first mile or so we came to the downhill and I picked up the pace.  My nagging cough came back, and I slowed a bit coming off the hill as the course evened out.  The first 5K was pretty uneventful, and I was comfortable with my pace.

The second time around the loop was very different.  I couldn't catch my breath, my lungs didn't feel good, and I was wheezing a bit.  I figured I would slow down a bit and collect myself.  Eugene cruised on by me, passing me back from the downhill.  A few other runners were passing me as well.

By the time I reached the downhill, I was still jogging but couldn't control my cough.  Then I pulled off the course and walked in the grass as runners passed me by.  It was miserable for me, and I doubt the other runners were thrilled to have me out there.  What was I thinking?

I walked about a mile.  Maybe a little more.  Some water at the aid station cleared things a bit and I was able to pick up the pace to finish the race.  Strava says my fastest mile was at a 6:55/mile pace.  My slowest mile, the one I walked, was at an 11:53/mile pace.  What a difference.

Note to self:  for the good of me and the good of other runners, if I don't feel well I should stay home.  At least I had the sense not to go around coughing on people or shaking hands - just walked around a bit, talked with Chris and Eugene, and headed home.  Speaking of Chris and Eugene, both had nice runs - Eugene was 2nd in his age group, and Chris conquered the hills with a nice time as well!

It was so good to head home.

===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  Run Run Rudolph 10K
Location:  Charlotte, NC
Shoe:  Saucony Guide 7
Date:  12/5/2015
Distance: 10K
Time: 59:28
Pace:  9:34/mile
Overall:  56/118 (47.5%)
Gender:  32/48 (66.7%)
Group: 6/8 (75%)

=== STRAVA SAYS  ===
Distance:  3.4 miles
Moving Time:  58:31
Avg Pace:  9:02/mile

===  LINKS  ===
Website:  Brain Tumor Fund of the Carolinas
Registration:  Races Online
Results:  Races Online

No comments:

Post a Comment