Saturday, December 6, 2014

Race Report: Run Run Rudolph 10K (2014)


 Last year the Run Run Rudolph was my first ever 10K, and I've been looking forward to running it again.  Chris and I have been planning on running this one for a while, even training a bit on the course a few months ago, and we were both looking forward to it.


We didn't think the run would happen at first.  It wasn't on the web sites from last year, so we chose the 485 MADD Dash in November as our target 10K and had a nice run.  Chris tracked this one down in early November, so this was his second 10K and my fourth.

While I'm still working to overcome more than a few pains (pulled abdominal muscle, plantar fasciitis, shoulder impingement, and a little tender from a recent procedure), I felt good about going into this run and just having a good time.  The aches and pains don't seem to be improving with rest, so we'll see if they improve with use! :)

The run supports the Brain Tumor Fund for the Carolinas, a nonprofit focused on brain tumor awareness and treatment strategies.  A May race that also supports this nonprofit was canceled, and the runners were allowed to transfer their registration to Run Run Rudolph.  It made for a larger field across overall from this year compared to last, but at 129 finishers the 10K was a little smaller than last year's 143.

There were no changes to the course for this year, which winds through Charlotte's University Research Park.  URP is home to several large businesses, as well as newly-constructed high-density residential and mixed use spaces.  The course is one big loop, and there are zero flat areas on the course - it's always uphill or downhill.

Chris and I practiced on this course a couple of times when we originally were expecting this to be on the 10K calendar, so we were both familiar with the terrain.  There is one really tough hill up Governor Hunt Road, and a lot of runners decided to walk for portions there.

5K makes one lap.
10K makes two.

Arriving just a few minutes before race time, I noticed reindeer antlers on lots of heads - it is Run Run Rudolph after all.   Chris and I met and walked up to the starting line.  He already had his packet, but was kind enough to walk back with me to drop the bag and get ready to run.

In good spirits pre-run.
Please note the yellow jacket.
We couldn't hear the starting announcements from where we were, and it seemed like the costume contest was still going on (Run For Your Life gave away $50 gift cards to the best-dressed male and female runners).  All of the sudden, people were moving, and I heard someone say "this is the 10K start!"  I remembered from the year before that either the 5K or 10K runners started first, but honestly couldn't remember which one.  Now I had my answer.

Just before the 10K start.
I think.
I have no idea.
So we were off, and the sea of humanity bounded forward.  The weather was a bit wet and around 44 degrees at the start, which turned out to be excellent for running!

The  Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and an army of volunteers were on hand, and were terrific as usual.  I tried to thank as many as I could while running, and heard other runners doing the same.  Special thanks to the volunteers, especially the person that told me to keep smiling as I was approaching the finish line!  A few days before the run, the organizers sent a note asking for more volunteers as the number of overall runners swelled to over 600 by race day - about 200 more than last year.  It wasn't clear how many additional volunteers arrived, but it certainly felt well organized.

The actual run was comfortable and uneventful.  Chris and I ran together for the first few yards, talking a bit more - then we started our run.  Chris had a good race, and hoping he'll join me out here again next year.  John and Elaine were out running as well - I think I met John for the first time at this event last year when he was running the 5K.  It's always nice to see them out.  John is taking on longer distances now and ran the 10K today, and Elaine continues to clock first place in her age group (she did it again this time!) at area races.

I did find two runners near the end of the run wearing bright yellow like me that I used as pacers - at least until they both kept a stronger run on the hill of Governor Hunt Road.  Based on finishing times, special thanks to Kayleigh Burrow and Vince Fioramonti for being unsuspecting pacers.  Kayleigh passed me once and Vince passed me twice.  They were both strong runners, and I'm not sure either of them actually broke a sweat during the 10K.

I had to leave right after the race for some family Christmas photos and missed the festivities.  I found out later that I placed third in my age group - just like last year!  The awesome folks at Brain Tumor Fund for the Carolinas offered to mail me my medal.

Overall it was a nice run today. The weather was pleasant, there were familiar faces running the race as well, and my aches and pains subsided long enough to get through the morning.  Kudos to race director Traci DeFelice for putting on a great sophomore event, and looking forward to running it again next year.


===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  Run Run Rudolph 10K
Location:  Charlotte, NC
Shoe:  Avia Austin
Date:  12/6/2014
Distance: 10K
Time: 55:06
Pace:  8:52/mile
Overall:  22/129 (17.1%)
Gender:  18/47 (32.3%)
Group: 3/12 (25.0%)

===  LINKS  ===
Website:  Brain Tumor Fund for the Carolinas, Facebook, Charlotte Sports Timing
Registration:  Active
Results:  Charlotte Sports Timing (overall here, age groups here)

No comments:

Post a Comment