Monday, February 9, 2015

Race Report: UNCC 49er Gold Rush 5K (2015)



This was my second year running the UNCC 49er Gold Rush 5K.  It's a fun race, supporting student development scholarships and Girls on the Run.  Thanks to Novant Health and all of the other sponsors for making the race happen.  It was a little warmer, and somehow the "crushing hill" from last year wasn't as bad.


I really enjoy this run.  University of North Carolina at Charlotte seems to grow and change every year as the state and donors continue to fund capital improvements.  Campus projects underway include:  a new dining hall, a new marching band center (yes, you read that correctly), a new residence hall, five different renovation projects, and preparation for a new light rail stop coming to campus in two years.  20 years ago this was a sleepy outpost of the UNC system, and the transformation has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Last year I stood around for an hour in 25-degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt because I don't have a great reason and didn't think I would get cold before the start.  This year Rex, Chris and I rode together and arrived a little closer to start time, enjoying the balmy 39-degree heat wave.

One new thing for me at was the timing technology.  Instead of a traditional timing chip or an adhesive timing device affixed to the back of my bib, the race used D-Tags from ChronoTrack, an orange strip stuck to the front of the bib, covering the number.  I removed the strip and part of my bib number in the process (that's some solid adhesive), looped it under my laces, and was sure to follow the ominous printed warning not to flatten or crease the loop.

D-Tag for D-Shoe.
Under D-Laces.
For D-Race.
We met Tom at the track, and two of Chris' colleagues from work were also there.  We chatted for a bit, then met a fellow runner named Neill.  In our small talk, we learned that Neill had a very full day ahead of him, as he manages a kitchen for a Greek restaurant in Weddington and needed to be there by 11:00.  Race start was 9:00, and it's a 30-minute drive from the university.

Pictured:  ~700 of my closest friends.
Close to 700 people lined up for this race, all in different gear.  Just like last year, there was one shirtless guy - hope he was warmer this time around!  Others were bundled up in jackets, toboggans, extra layers and gloves.

After a couple of runs back to the Jeep to stow jackets and newly acquired drop bags, it was time to start.  To help the runners start in the right place, large signs were held up:  "Fast," "Medium," and "Walkers."  I was feeling quite Medium that day, and took my place.

My place.

Medium.

Then we were off!  Sort of!

Irwin Belk Track is a nice facility.  It's relatively new, and terrific for track and field, soccer, and a host of other activities.  There are nine lanes for running, and a fence gate that leads out of the facility and to the rest of the campus.  With 700 runners in a space designed for 9, it made for a bit of a bottleneck.  As we started, I jogged.  Then walked.  Then stopped for a second or two, then ran.  Then stopped, then jogged, and then finally squeezed through the fence gate on the way to the rest of the run.  After the first 1/3 of a mile or so it was easier to speed up and find my pace, but I kind of liked the start.  If I really wanted to go fast I should have moved up in line.  There was a "Fast" sign, after all. :)

Last year I remember this monster of a hill right at the end of Mile 1 that just sucked my energy dry.  So I held back a bit in the first mile to ensure there would be gas in the tank at the end.  I've been working on pacing myself on hills, and it paid off.  The hill wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it from last year.

Course map.

Roughly the second third of the 5K is uphill and the last third is downhill.  I've been playing around with Strava, and it was interesting to see the splits.  During the first two miles as I gained elevation my pace was over 8:00/mile, and on the rest I was running sub-7:00/mile mostly downhill.  I try to run based on effort vs. pace, and it all sort of comes out in the wash.

We saw Taft after the race, and he won third in his age group!  John and Elaine were also out - John didn't run today, and Elaine continued her streak of first place finishes in her age group.  Neill was also at the finish line.  He had a good race and is thinking about running the Frigid 5K Run and Plunge next weekend at the US National Whitewater Center. Stay dry, Neill!  Brr.

I'm still healing from injuries and trying not to run too hard, and it felt good to get under 8:00/mile.  Be the end of the run the weather was fantastic.  Big thanks as always to the volunteers and law enforcement that kept the runners motivated and the course safe, especially on a cold February day when there are so many warmer things they could have chosen.

On to the next race:  the Charlotte 10 Miler and 4 Mile Run.  Big View Restaurant and Bar will be back out there with a hot breakfast, and all 10 mile runners get tech hoodies. :)

The 49er Gold Rush 5K is on the list for next year - nice way to start the running season.



===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  UNCC 49er Gold Rush 5K
Location:  Charlotte, SC
Shoe:  Saucony Guide 7
Date:  2/7/2015
Distance: 5K
Time: 24:38
Pace:  7:56/mile
Overall:  115/672 (17.1%%)
Gender:  97/311 (31.2%)
Group: 8/28 (28.6%)

===  LINKS  ===
Website:  UNCC Recreational Services
Registration:  UNCC
Results:  ChronoTrack
Organizer Pics:  Facebook (2015 49er Gold Rush 5k), Facebook (2015 49er Gold Rush), Facebook (2015 49er Gold Rush 5K Awards)

No comments:

Post a Comment