Saturday, February 1, 2014

Race Report: UNCC 49er Gold Rush 5K (2014)

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) puts on the 49er Gold Rush 5K every year.  It's 3.1 miles through the campus, up a crushing hill, and then back to the starting point.  The start/finish was in the new stadium.


Cold!  We arrived about an hour before the run was scheduled to begin, so we had plenty of time to register.  I've always heard that you're supposed to dress for the run, not for the weather before.  Today was that exception.  Standing around in 25 degree weather for an hour really helped me understand the amazing ability of freezing air to pass through technical fabrics.  At least I had some gloves, which made for a fashion faux pas like no other I'm sure.  There were a few folks dressed for triathlons, and think there was one shirtless guy.  Don't know how he did it.

The course began on the track around the outside of the stadium, exited into the rest of campus, came through a short greenway, and then back into the stadium.  Great to be running with Rex, Tom, Nancy, and Ian that day!
I'm behind the happy man in blue there, sporting the high fashion gloves
Overall it was a good run, and I like the long-sleeve tee that came with it.  The last race spoiled me and I was expecting another amazing time.  Amazing how quickly we adjust our expectations, isn't it?  I was about 30 seconds slower this time around thanks to that hill, but any time under 8:00 min/mile is a good time for me.

===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  UNCC 49er Gold Rush 5K
Location:  Charlotte, NC
Shoe:  Avia Austin
Date:  2/1/2014
Distance:  5K
Time:  23:57
Pace:  7:43/mile
Overall:  81/654 (12.4%)
Gender:  67/303 (22.1%)
Group:  7/20 (35.0%)

===  LINKS  ===
Website:  UNCC Recreational Services
Registration:  UNCC
Results:  Active.com

No comments:

Post a Comment