Monday, March 30, 2015

Race Report: Cooper River Bridge Run (2015)

Get Over It!


Second year running this huge 10K race!



The Cooper River Bridge Run boasts that it's the best-organized 10K in the world, and in my second year running, I believe it.  There's a terrific history to the run, beginning way back in 1978.  A lot has changed since then.  In 1978 there were 766 runners with 56 of them finishing in under 40 minutes.  This year there were over 35,000 runners, with 190 finishing in under 40 minutes.

We were part of a group of 21 that made the trip, including 8 runners.  This was the 10th year these friends have made the trek to Charleston to run the race.  It's my second, and we couldn't ask to be in better company.

March 6th, 2015:  Packet Arrival

I had worried off and on all year about the packet arriving.  I registered almost a year in advance, and no packets were mailed until early March - almost 11 months later.  Then on March 6th the worry was over - packet arrived!

What's inside.

The bib number, a sweat towel, and a t-shirt were in there.  Great, now I'm ready to run.  Everything else seemed geared to either running other races or fixing the aches and pains from running other races:  Advil, Salonpas, and coupons for more Salonpas. :)

March 27th:  Wonderfest!  The Washout.

Come be a kid!

After check in at the hotel it was time to get to Wonderfest!  Hampton Park is home to the festival for kids and families the day before the 10K.  Beautiful old growth trees, flora, and water features dot the park.  Speaking of water features, it was WET!  After 15 minutes of torrential downpour, almost all runners were soaked but most were in good spirits.

There were three options for the Wonderfest fun run:  25 yards, 1/4 mile, and a full mile.  I think we had 6 fun-runners in our group, including Angie and Noelle at the 1/4 mile and Noah at the mile.

Hot Line?  Hotline?
Starting Line.
It's a well-known fact that men and women prepare mentally in different ways.  Here we have two women preparing for the fun run.  Look at the determination.  The focus.  Ready to run and conquer the distance.

Ladies' prep:  stoic focus
Note:  background boy is sad, not stoic

In contrast, please note how men prepare.  The seriousness fades into confidence, and they stay loose and relaxed by making noises that may or may not be similar to bodily functions considered hilarious in elementary circles.

Gentlemen's prep:  making noises

Noah and Kenan had solid runs, and all finishers brought home the medal.

Too fast for the camera.
After the Wonderfest was a celebratory / preparatory dinner from Olive Garden.  We carb-loaded on pasta, pizza, and those tasty bread sticks.  And then to bed!  Except for the NCAA tournament viewing, which kept everyone up late both nights.

March 28th:  Cooper River Bridge Run

The rain cleared overnight and we were ready to run.  After driving in from Mount Pleasant we parked and started walking to the starting line.  The bus shuttles were bringing runners to the event from several points around the area.

So many buses.
This doesn't do it justice.
Good thing school is out.

The next stop is the most important before any run.  Like last year, there were batteries of portable toilets lined up at strategic points all the way up to the starting line.  Even though a few of these beautiful green closets were being used by people trying to stay warm, for the most part the lines moved quickly.
Gotta go so you can go without having to go.
28 of them in this picture alone.

Taylor Hicks of American Idol fame was there, singing "The Star Spangled Banner" just before the race began.  While Hicks was singing, there were three skydivers in the sky with large flags waving behind them.

One nation under God.
Awesome.

Then it was go-time!  First the wheelchair racers, then the elites, then the sub-elites, and then us mortals.

2 of the 14 waves of runners.

The crowd is huge.  I started in the back of Corral A, the first of 11 corrals for those expected to take more than 45 minutes to finish.  It takes a little longer to get to the starting line, but I'm only racing against myself.

Wave start map.

The emcee kept everyone amped up during the pre-race, and we were ready to run.  Like most larger races, nothing moved quickly at the beginning as the mass of people began moving across the starting mats and down Coleman Boulevard.

All of Corral A is in front of me.

It wasn't quite like the BB&T Corporate Cup Half Marathon, where I was stuck behind walkers (which was totally my fault by the way).  I could find seams easily and work through the crowd at my own pace.

Speaking of pace, I realized how quickly I could lose focus and run at whatever pace the runners around me were keeping.  A few times early on I caught myself running faster or slower than I wanted - just because the runners near me were doing it.  The solution was to close my eyes for a few steps and find my pace again.  Don't worry, I made sure no one was around for me to run into beforehand. :)

The first two miles are on land, then the bridge ascent begins.  Last year it felt like the incline would never end.  I distinctly remember getting to the first of the two large diamond-shaped supporting towers, thinking I was at the top of the hill.  I was crushed as I found the incline continuing all the way to the second supporting tower.

This time I was expecting the longer incline, and it wasn't as bad.  John on our team told me afterwards that it was experience that made the difference, and I tend to agree.

Still going uphill.

A couple of folks passed me here, but for the most part I continued passing others on the hill and then on the decline.  It's a noticeable change in gait once the hill's been conquered.  Different muscles are being used, and it's refreshing to be headed downhill for a change.

Coming off the bridge and heading in to Charleston brought with it the second change.  Without the downhill, it's a bit of a shock after how easy things have been going to have to work a little harder to keep pace.  Not terrible, but I could feel those muscles that had been used on the way up the bridge, reminding me that I could have done a little more hill work.

High fives are awesome.

Running through downtown Charleston is beautiful, and the route comes down Meeting Street, then over to King Street.  The best part of the run was next - our group was stationed and ready for a few high fives!  Many, many thanks to them for cheering on the runners and making a morning of it - they are terrific!

Two quick left turns and it's back up Meeting Street to the finish line!  Last year I finished in 49:44, and this year with injuries my goal was to break 55:00.  As I crossed the finish line the clock ticked to 52:05 and I felt like a success.  Runner's World says that's a pace of 8:23/mile - which is only a second slower than my BB&T Corporate Cup Half Marathon time of 8:22/mile.  Then for the big surprise.

I checked Strava, and the number seemed to be off a bit.  A lot.  Wait a minute.  Didn't I start near the back of my corral?  And didn't the clock start the elites?  Oooh yeah!

Oooh yeah.

47:52 was my net time, I was thrilled!  I finished with a 7:42/mile pace, running a negative split the second 5K of 7:18/mile.

47:52 total time.
First 5K:  8:04/mile
Second 5K:  7:18/mile
Good to go downhill. :)

We all met at Marion Square, had a few post-race refreshments, and shared our experiences as runners and supporters.  Overall everyone had a good run, the weather was amazing, and it was a nice way to end the day.  Truly a great group of people.  Special thanks to Carolina Pride, Bi-Lo, and Jim 'N Nick's BBQ for the post-race food.

Good time.
Great people.
Great experience.

Cooper River Bridge:  A Poem
Nice run,
It was a ton,
Of great fun,
For everyone,
Bright sun,
For the starting gun,
A Kenyan won,
Which did not stun,
And now we're done.

===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  Cooper River Bridge Run
Location:  Charleston, SC
Shoe:  Saucony Guide 7
Date:  3/28/2015
Distance: 10K
Time: 47:52
Pace:  7:42/mile
Overall:  1292/27341 (4.7%)
Gender:  1039/11254 (9.2%)
Group: 113/1229 (9.2%)

===  LINKS  ===
Website:  BridgeRun.com
Registration:  Active.com
Results:  Xacte
Organizer Pics:  BridgeRun.com, Facebook:  Expo, Wonderfest, Bridge Run
Other Pics:  Live 5 News, Post and Courier (costumes), ABC News 4

3 comments:

  1. Update: registration for the 2016 Cooper River Bridge Run is now open!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding to my blog!

    Congratulations on your bridge run time- it is an awesome time especially after dealing with an injury. We all struggled up that hill but that's how it is every year- this is a hard race in the fact that you have to run before you get to it, so you can't go out too fast.

    I'm glad you visited for the run and enjoyed it and plan to return. If you ever want to do a half or longer, we have Kiawah in December and Charleston in January- perfect for a winter visit :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We had a great time, and are already planning on coming back next year. Kiawah has nice memories for from times past and Charleston's always beautiful. It would be nice to run either/both - thanks for the heads up! :)

      Delete