Sunday, October 12, 2014

Race Report: Tuna Run 200 - Leg #28 (2014)

= = = T U N A   R U N   2 0 0   = = =

This is one of a series of posts on the Tuna Run 200 relay.  For the whole experience, please check out these links:

= = = T U N A   R U N   2 0 0   = = =

My final leg!


Since the last run I was feeling extremely unwell.  Not sure if it was the food, the exercise, or the anxiety, but with our Van 1 team was up again in the early morning, I wasn't sure I could complete the last run.  It was worse by the time our second runner was out on the course, and I had an Uncrustable (wow those are awesome!) that helped some.  I felt a little better when Rex kicked off, but only had 90 minutes or so before I was up.  15 minutes before my start I started feeling like I could make it.  Five minutes before, I was only a little queasy but nothing I haven't run through before.  As Rex came in, I was feeling fine.

Rex finishing strong
Rex just wrapped up his longest run ever at 8.68 miles and looked none the worse for wear.  Go, Rex!  I was feeling better, and with 5.36 miles and only three turns, I was ready to put this thing to bed.

Apparently I had been thinking about my stomach instead of the run.  I started out way too fast, running the first couple of minutes at a sub 7:00 pace - which for me is a recipe for disaster.  I slowed down and tried to find my rhythm.  Then some foot pain.  I stopped and tightened the right shoe, which helped tremendously to have it really locked down on my foot.  Once my shoes, feet, and stomach were all in order, I started paying attention to the runners around me.  There were more runners on this leg than I had seen on the last one, but still no more than 1-2 in sight at a time.

On the left of the course I passed the first Subway drive through I've ever seen, which gave me something to think about.  How do you even order there?  I found this blog post with a quick Google search on Subway drive throughs, and guess I'm not the only one that has wondered about this.

After zoning out for about a mile and pondering the existential Subway drive through question, I picked up the pace, trying to go a little faster than whichever runner was in front of me throughout the leg.  I passed five runners on this leg, all in good spirits and all excited about this being the final leg they had to run.  With about 3 miles left I started thinking in terms of a 5K.  Only a 5K left?  I can do this!

I also started paying closer attention to my pace.  Google My Tracks called out 8:20 as my pace.  Then 8:17.  then 8:13.  I finished with an 8:10 overall pace - great run!

Finishing my final leg!
I crested the hill to the finish (doesn't it seem like every 5K has a hill at the end?), and there was Kevin, ready for his last leg.  There were shower facilities here, but no time for a shower.  Kevin's run was a short one.  I freshened up, put on a pair of khaki shorts, and headed back to my teammates waiting at the van.


===  LEG STATS  ===
Race leg:  28 of 36
My leg:  3 of 3
Net Roadkills:  5 (+5, -0)
Start:  First Baptist Church of Maysville
End:  Onslow County Soccer Association

=== RACE DAY ===
Race:  Tuna Run 200
Location:  Maysville, NC
Shoe:  Saucony Guide 7
Date:  10/11/2014
Distance:  5.36 miles
Time:  44:21
Pace:  8:10/mile
Overall:  N/A
Gender:  N/A
Group:  N/A

=== LINKS ===
Website:  Tuna Run 200
Registration:  Active.com
Results:  Tuna Run 200

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I posted a comment regarding the thoughts of runners during a run. Enjoyed your blog so much....there is a definite mindset for a runner....as there must be for success. Congratulations to finishing the Tuna Run. Bseaford

    ReplyDelete