Friday, July 11, 2014

Race Report: Streetlight 5K (2014)

Two or three times a year, Concord Parks and Rec hosts a community 5K and fun run.  This one, the Streetlight 5K, is coupled with the Firefly Festival.  The weather was excellent, and my Sunday running buddy and I thought we'd tackle this one.


The Fun Run before the 5K was just that - a lot of fun.  It was a down and back that started on the road then transitioned to a new community greenway.


Starting the Fun Run
All of the kids were fast, and was especially impressed with one in particular who tripped on some uneven pavement and took a spill.  He shook it off, walked it off, and then kept running.

Keepin' on keepin' on....
Speed is great, but running is also a lesson in perseverance.  Great to see the will to go on! :)

Water stops and awesome volunteers
Cheering throughout, kids running well, and a lot of winded parents and soon-to-be-running-5K folks were on the course.  Great finishers all around, and a lot of fun.

Before the 5K my family introduced me to the amazing Margaret Hagerty.  Ms. Hagerty is 91, and has slowed her training pace just a bit - her last marathon (I think!) was when she was 88.  She's completed her first marathon at 67, and now has completed over 80 of them.  Truly amazing!
Start line
The race started, and everyone seemed to be pacing themselves except for two runners at the front who seemed to be going for time.  The 5K started in the opposite direction from the fun run and stayed on road a little longer.  The course was downhill at this point and I decided it was be a nice opportunity to pick up speed and pass a few people.

The runners around me seemed to be going about the same pace as me - not a lot of passing - as we turned off the road onto a local greenway.  A few more turns, and the greenway course emptied us back onto asphalt.

Of course, the downhill early in the race meant we'd have to go back up that hill at some point, and the uphill was a little steeper.  I hit the hill and tried to maintain my stride instead of shortening a bit.  One runner reminded me to take short steps, but I really wanted to keep the pace.

Not a great move on my part, but really appreciated the words of encouragement from another runner named Galen Castro.  He had taken the smart approach to the hill, small steps, maintaining a jog and pushing through.  I huffed and puffed past him at the start of the hill, and he passed me when I started walking.  I passed him again as the course flattened a bit, and started my final kick.

My elbow and Mr. Castro
The finish was up a hill, I had a little left in the tank, and thought I would attack the final hill.  There was a slower runner in front of me, and I thought I could pass him before we reached the finish line.  With a faster pace and some determination, I sped up - but heard footsteps coming up behind me quickly.

There was Galen, who also was turning up his speed.  I sped up to an all-out run, and so did he.  Sprint to the finish!  We high-fived, and it was the most memorable and enjoyable part of the race.


High five at the finish

A community festival attended the end of the race, and we stayed around for the awards and refreshments.  Plenty of everything, great weather, and a really nice time all around.

Oh yeah.  Galen beat me to the finish. :)

===  RACE DAY  ===
Race:  Streetlight 5K
Location:  Concord, NC
Shoe:  Saucony Kinvara 4
Date:  7/11/2014
Distance:  5K
Time:  23:53
Pace:  7:41/mile
Overall:  31/309 (10.0%)
Gender:  28/139 (20.1%)
Group:  4/20 (20.0%)

===  LINKS  ===
Website:  Concord Parks and Rec
Registration:  Active
Results:  Queen City Timing

No comments:

Post a Comment