Saturday, May 10, 2008

Race Report: Right Moves For Youth 5K (2008)

 I was pretty excited to get out there and see what it's like to run a race. A friend of mine was the organizer of the event in support of Right Moves for Youth, a local charity that supports exactly what the mission says.

The Twilight 5K was held in uptown Charlotte, among the big buildings. I work uptown and was familiar with part of the route, but not sure what to expect in my first organized race.

Everything was extremely well organized. Picking up the chip and bib, finding the start line, and generally knowing where to go wasn't challenging at all. The event kicked off in the Wachovia atrium, and the start line was right outside.

I was feeling good, and ready to try a run again. The weather was fantastic, and I was pretty pumped about getting out there and seeing what it would be like. Pounding the pavement, I started fast, soon passing the firefighters and military units that were running in groups. Everything felt good, and my mind drifted towards the finish line. I had never run so fast, and only rarely run so far. I zoomed past runners for the first half mile or so, and then....

It seemed to happen all at once. The pace suddenly seemed daunting, and people I had passed not 30 seconds before were starting to blow by me. It wasn't my legs or feet – it was in the lungs. I dialed back the pace a bit, and soon the songs of the firefighters and the chants of the military units were loud in my ears as they passed in full gear and nary a drop of sweat. These guys were the real deal.

As I slowed, I found a group close to my pace. I had the opportunity to look around a bit and enjoy the run. Uptown Charlotte and the surrounding area is beautiful, but you have to take the time to look around. More interesting than the city to me were the amazing runners that were still slowly passing me as I went. Parents were chugging along, moving not only themselves but also one or two children and the gear that comes with them. New runners, some testing their limits for the first time. And so many colors and outfits!

In the end, it was a decent run. I had a great time, and think I'll try this again.

===   RACE DAY   ===

Race: Right Moves For Youth Twilight 5K
Location:  Charlotte, NC
Date:  5/10/2008
Distance: 5K
Time: 32:00
Pace: 10:18/mile
Overall: 772/1138 (67.8%)
Gender: 467/622 (79.9%)
Group: 83/103 (80.6%)

No comments:

Post a Comment